So I have been getting updates from the evmotorcycle.org folks. Not too much to say so far. Only three teams have shown up for this round, but the new guys Varley are in the mix, which is a great sign. In practice one of the bikes hit 1:10 lap time which is a 5 second drop from last year, in only 50-60 degree weather. This may not sound that impressive, but since the gas bikes are running 0:59 to 1:01 lap times that means it is a short track, 1.3 miles, so you have to look at the percentage of improvement not the raw time. It’s an impressive jump actually. Unfortunately we are not seeing times particularly close to gas bikes, like has been predicted. Superbikes are running 59 seconds range, 600s 1:01, twins 1:03, and 450 lightweights are running 1:07s (I found the times here).
Qualifying was a surprise as well. Ripperton is up to 100hp this year, and with an already lightweight everything it promised to be fast. But they ended up last, with Catavolt on top, and the new guys sliding in between the two.
Qualifing 4-5-2013Pos No Name Machine Lap
- 1 Jason MORRIS (NSW) Catavolt1:13.531
- 86 Jeff PHILLIPS (NSW) Varley1:15.957
- 46 Daniel RIPPERTON (NSW) Ripperton1:16.277
- 46 Daniel RIPPERTON (NSW) / Ripperton Racing Yamaha R1 6 7:18.027 1:09.878 4
- 1 Jason MORRIS (NSW) / Catavolt / Impact AV Catavolt D6 6 7:27.381 9.354 1:13.233 6
- 86 Jeff PHILLIPS (NSW) / Varley Electric Vehicles /Ultramotive / Tritium Varley 6 7:31.014 12.987 1:13.072 4